Budget impasse could halt IL law enforcement training programs - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Budget impasse could halt IL law enforcement training programs

(Source: Giacomo Luca, KFVS) (Source: Giacomo Luca, KFVS)
CARBONDALE, IL (KFVS) -

The Illinois budget impasse could soon affect the training centers for law enforcement officers across the state.

In-service police officer training centers may need to begin halting classes by as early as November, according to Director Michael P. Norrington of the Southern Illinois Criminal Justice Training Program in Carbondale, Ill.

The program keeps law officers up to date on new laws regarding police body cameras and dealing with people who have mental illnesses. It also provides the training necessary to be a part-time police officer and other specialized training.

SICJTP is one of 15 Mobile Team Units across the state that offers specialized training courses to officers. MTU #15 offers training to officers in the southern 27 counties of Illinois, including 163 departments.

Norrington said he’ll need to halt classes that have any cost associated with them by November if the budget impasse continues. He said SICJTP can stay open through the end of January 2016 and at that point all employees will be laid off, all in-service training to the region will end, and SICJTP will close its doors.

The SICJTP receives 75 percent of its funding $400,000 yearly budget from the state of Illinois Traffic and Criminal Convictions Surcharge Fund, Norrington said. Those funds have been collected by the state but are not being released due to the budget impasse. The other 25 percent of funding comes from an annual fee of $60 per officer.

The following types of courses that would no longer be offered include:

  • Aggressive Patrol Tactics
  • Freedom of Information Act
  • Boots on the Ground
  • First Line Supervisors/Middle Managers Training
  • Breath Analysis Operator Training
  • LEAD Homicide Investigator Training
  • Hot Topics
  • 40 Hour Mandatory Firearms Training
  • Managing Civil Actions in Threat Incidents (Crowd Control)
  • Crime Scene Management & Basic Evidence Collection
  • Emergency/Evasive Vehicle Operation
  • DWI Detection and Field Sobriety Testing
  • Krav Maga Combatives
  • Current Trends in Drug Abuse
  • Police Pursuit & Emergency Response Driving Tactics Troubleshooting Search & Seizure
  • Basic Juvenile Officer’s Course, and Criminal Minds

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly