CARBONDALE, IL (KFVS) - An apartment building Carbondale, Ill. was evacuated Saturday after an apparent grease fire.
Carbondale police and fire responded to reports of a structure fire at 711 Poplar, originating from a basement level apartment.
The resident of the unit says he left the stove on, and left the unit for roughly 20 minutes.
When he returned, smoke was coming from his room.
The fire department had the fire out after roughly 10 minutes, and there were no injuries.
The kitchen of one unit was severely damaged, but the CFD assistant chief says he does not think it was a total loss.
As of 5 p.m., crews were still on scene, and traffic was being diverted around the intersection of Mill and Poplar streets.