MO boy called a hero for saving dad from electrocution

MO boy called a hero for saving dad from electrocution

FREDERICKTOWN, MO (KFVS) - A 13-year-old boy is being called a hero for saving his dad's life.

It happened as the father and son, from Fredericktown, were fixing a broken air conditioning unit.

Trevan West has been a boy scout for three years. He said its taught him what to do during any type of emergency.

A skill he put to good use in real life.

"I ran up to it and I grabbed it and it shocked me, so I tackled him to get it off of him," described West.

During a routine task, West's dad touched the wrong piece of an air conditioning unit at the wrong time. It sent 240 volts of electricity through his hand, up his arm and out of his back.

"When I got him off of it, his lips started turning blue and he was biting on his tongue," he said.

West said he tackled his dad in order to get him to release the the piece of metal.

Right as he was about to perform CPR, "He just woke up," he said.

West walked away with just a few scratches and his dad was able to leave the hospital that day.

He said had it not been for what he learned as a boy scout, the story would have had a much different ending.

"I think I would not have been able to control myself and I don't think he would be over there right now," said West.

West's dad declined to go on camera because he said this story was about his hero son.

He did have third-degree burns on his finger, but said he's just thankful to be alive.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.