CARBONDALE, IL (KFVS) - Demolition of nine vacant buildings on the Southern Illinois University Carbondale campus will begin next week.
The building were originally built as private residences. They formerly housed university offices and studios.
Two of the buildings date back to 1930. Five of them were built in the 1940s.
The university decided to demo the old buildings because it became to expensive to maintain.
Weather permitting, demolition of all the structures should be complete by the beginning of the fall semester. Total demolition cost is $317,000.
The buildings are located at:
- 804 S. Elizabeth; built in 1930, acquired by SIU in 1965
- 803 S. Oakland; built in 1945, acquired in 1967
- 805 S. Oakland; built in 1948, acquired in 1973
- 807 S. Oakland; built in 1940, acquired in 1973
- 1002 W. Whitney; built in 1961, acquired in 1977
- 910 S. Elizabeth; built in 1950, acquired in 1965
- 1000 S. Elizabeth; built in 1930, acquired in 1980
- 807 S. Normal – front and back structures; built in 1940, acquired in 1970