CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - As the summer months get into high gear the Cape Girardeau Safe Communities Program wants all drivers to "Watch for Motorcycles" out on the roads.
Drivers often do not see motorcycles until it's too late.
In Missouri there were 87 motorcyclists killed in 2014.
In order to prevent a fatal crash with a motorcycle here are some tips for drivers of trucks and cars:
- Never drive impaired or distracted.
- Always signal when merging with traffic or changing lanes.
- Before merging with traffic or changing lanes check all blind spots and mirrors, especially at intersections.
- Allow the motorcycle the full width of a lane.
Here are some steps motorcyclists can take to stay safe on the roads:
- Never ride impaired or distracted.
- Ride in the middle of the lane.
- Be properly trained and licensed and obey all traffic laws.
- Wear protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet.
- To increase visibility wear bright colored clothes and reflective tape.
- Be extra cautious of road conditions and debris and anticipate the moves of other drivers.
Buckle-Up and Arrive Alive!!