Assisted living center in Tamms, IL closes after stabbing

Assisted living center in Tamms, IL to close
(Source: KFVS)
(Source: KFVS)

TAMMS, IL (KFVS) - An assisted living center in the village of Tamms, Illinois is packing up boxes and moving out after a long investigation into several violent incidents between residents.

An Illinois Department of Public Health investigation of the facility was sparked by a stabbing between three residents which took place in April of 2015, as well as an investigation done by Illinois State Police.

As of June 5, 2015, one of the victims remained hospitalized in an out-of-state long-term care facility for their injuries, their current condition is not known.

Obtained documents outlining the results of the IDPH investigation explained H&S had violated a series of major state regulations, most of which connected to 41-year-old Jule K. Woods, who was arrested by Illinois State Police in connection with the April stabbing.

ISP representatives could not be reached for comment on their separate investigation after several calls and messages.

The first regulation IDPH claims was violated states, “No resident shall be admitted to or kept to a facility; who has serious mental or emotional problems based on diagnosis.”

IDPH investigators found evidence that at the time Woods was admitted to H&S, he had been professionally diagnosed in 2013 with schizophrenia, anger/impulse control disorders, and other debilitating conditions.

Woods had also underwent seven “psychiatric hospitalizations” prior to being admitted to H&S.

IDPH claims Woods' H&S admission papers outlined his conditions, proving H&S employees had access to this information before wood was admitted.

Fellow H&S residents told IDPH investigators that Wood regularly made sexual advances toward residents, and would punch holes in the walls when provoked.

In one instance where Wood was behaving erratically, a resident claimed Woods was given his medication by an employee and told to “go on” with his daily routine.

The state also demands “if a patient is shown to be the aggressor in a resident to resident conflict, They are to be evaluated for therapy and placement within 10 days of the incident.”

State investigators say outlined conditions were not met by the facility.

The state fined the H&S $12,000 and said they could vie for a hearing with IDPH to discuss options to remain open.

The deadline for that hearing passed with no response, the final residents were transferred on June 24, 2015, and the facility officially closed the following Monday.

An H&S manager who withheld her name over the phone said some of the eight employees of the facility have been offered jobs at other homes like one in West Frankfort, just under 60 miles away.

The manager also said the 26 residents were slowly sent elsewhere between the time the investigation began, and the final closure on June 29.

The manager blames a lack of necessary care near Tamms, Ill. for the closure, pointing out that they had pursued medical evaluation for Woods.

State-provided documents confirm that while Woods lived in the home, he had been sent to a doctor on at least one occasion following instances of mental instability, but was sent back to H&S after the doctor concluded Woods was “Stable.”

The name of that medical practitioner was not disclosed.

Woods faces an account of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and an account for aggravated battery resulting in serious bodily harm.

His arraignment is set for Tuesday, June 30 at 10 a.m.

Download the KFVS News app: iPhone | Android

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.