CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Nothing can ruin your vacation like getting sick. Here are some simple tips, from health experts, that can help you stay happy and healthy while you're away from home, especially if you're traveling out of the U.S.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) encourages travelers to plan ahead. Know the health risks in the area or country to which you're traveling.
- See a doctor before you go. He or she may suggests certain vaccines or medicines to take with you.
- Eat and drink wisely. In some places you may need to drink only bottled water and always avoid eating unwashed fruits and veggies.
- Consider travel insurance and/or medical evacuation insurance, just in case.
- If you do get sick or get a strange bug bite or animal scratch, see a doctor immediately.
- Pack smart. A travel health kit should contain the prescription medicines you usually take, plus copies of these prescription. Also, bring over-the-counter medications you might need.
- Avoid blood clots while flying. Sitting for a prolonged period of time on an airplane can increase the risk of blood clots or deep vein thrombosis. Getting up and walking around during long flights when the seat belt light is not on can help reduce the risk
When you get back, you'll also want to take note of how you're feeling for a week or so. If you start to feel ill, let your doctor know where you've been and for how long.