Carbon monoxide sickens 9 people in Springfield home

Carbon monoxide sickens 9 people in Springfield home

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Authorities say seven children were among nine people taken from a Springfield home to a hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Springfield Fire Chief Mark Hart tells The (Springfield) State Journal-Register ( ) that the carbon monoxide level in the house was "sky high" after crews arrived at the house early Friday on a call about the residents not feeling well.

The names of those hospitalized and their conditions weren't immediately released. Hart says the children ranged in age from 8 months to 12 years.

Hart says the batteries might have been removed from a carbon monoxide detector in the rental home. The odorless gas might have come from a faulty hot water heater.

Information from: The State Journal-Register,

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.