Carbondale firefighters battle apartment fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Breaking

Carbondale firefighters battle apartment fire

(Source: Giacomo Luca) (Source: Giacomo Luca)
CARBONDALE, IL (KFVS) -

A Southern Illinois University student is without an apartment after a Monday night fire.

The Carbondale Fire Department responded to the apartments on Hester Street just after 8 p.m.

A stove burner was accidentally flipped on and caught fire to a home appliance, according to Assistant Fire Chief Ted Lomax with the Carbondale Fire Department.

Lomax said because the apartment was small, the student placed his microwave atop his stove when not in use.

The stove burner was accidentally flipped in the on position while the student had left to study at an area library, Lomax said.

When the student returned home, the apartment was engulfed in flames, Lomax said.

Lomax estimates the damages to be in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.

The damage was contained to a single second floor unit where the fire began.

SIUC has offered to house the student for the evening, according to Lomax.

No one was injured.

The Carbondale Fired Department, Jackson County EMS, Carbondale Police Department, and the Southern Illinois University Police responded to the call.

Copyright 2015 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly