Potential dangers of detergent pods, mistaking chemical for cand - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Potential dangers of detergent pods, mistaking chemical for candy

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

Could your child mistake a chemical for candy?

You may have seen reports about the potential dangers of laundry detergent pods, now there are some surprising numbers that may make you reach for a different product.

According to a new study, one child per day is hospitalized because they tried to eat the chemical.

Little hands can too often get into a little too much. LaVar and Susan Sinks' son Max is almost two years old. His parents say keeping him out of things that could be harmful can be a full time job.

“He likes to play and play with his puppy and read books and get into whatever he can find to get into,” Susan said.

However, there's one thing these parents and others don't want their kids getting their hands on.

“Do not put in mouth, keep out of reach of children,” Kathryn Richards said.

That's the warning label on Richards' box of laundry detergent pods.

“To a two year old or a three year old, I would say, ‘Hey, it's a fruit snack.' I'd toss it in my mouth, I can understand it happening,” Richards said.

That's why, she says, she's extra careful with the product.

“[My son] is drawn to bright colors, liquids, water,” Richards said.

Her five year old son has Autism.

“I moved the pods, they stay in my bedroom now, up on top of the gun cabinet locked where he can't get to them,” Richards said.

She said her son only sees them every once in a while.

“He puts them in the washing machine and that's his job, and there's never more than just a few and I control what he has access to,” Richards said.

Richards said she keeps the pods out of her sons reach, but other parents say even though the liquid takes a few minutes longer to measure out and then pour in, they say sticking with traditional detergent shuts out the risk.

That's the approach the Sinks have taken.

“I couldn't live with the, you know, the tragedy of something happening,” LaVar said.

“You can do a lot to protect your kids and it is up to the parent to do that,” Susan said.

Susan and LaVar say when it comes to what's best for their family, it is better safe than sorry.

“I do everything I can to make sure my little guy is safe,” LaVar said.

The study also showed that these chemicals are not only harmful when swallowed, but some children also suffered burns to the eyes and skin from squeezing them and one child died after an encounter.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly