Experts warn of carbon monoxide dangers from appliances - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Experts warn of carbon monoxide dangers from appliances

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) -

You may have been waiting to turn on the heat, but with these cold temperatures many of us are reaching for the thermostat.

But if you have gas appliances a silent and invisible killer could be tagging along with your warmth.

Carbon monoxide is basically impossible for us to detect.

You can't see or smell it.

That's why experts say you need to invest in a detector and know ways to prevent carbon monoxide from gas appliances.

Any fire could produce carbon monoxide, that's why it's important to monitor your chimney or gas grill.

Experts say people often warm their cars in their garage in the morning, but every time you open the door inside that gas follows you in.

So to be safe, move your car outside and let it sit for a few minutes to heat up.

And while having a detector is a must, how effective it is could depend on where you put it.

"You know lots of times we suggest people putting them in the hallways," said engineering specialist Jeff Griffin. "Because normally with carbon monoxide you would have the same level downstairs. Say your appliance was downstairs and that's where the problem started, lots of times the level will be the same downstairs as it is upstairs. So if you put the detector where it will wake you up, someplace where you can hear it, that's very important. That's probably the one thing people don't think about very much."

Griffin said make sure you change the batteries in a carbon monoxide detector when you change your smoke alarm batteries.

Carbon monoxide detectors have a shorter shelf life.

He said if you can't remember when you bought it, it's safe to say you need a new one.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly