Racers nip Redhawks in double OT

Racers nip Redhawks in double OT

(KFVS) - (Murray, Ky.) -KD Humphries touchdown to Janawaski Davis in double overtime gave Murray State the 44-41 win over No. 23 Southeast Missouri State Saturday at Stewart stadium.

The Redhawks three-game win streak was snapped as they fall to 4-3 and 2-1 in the OVC. Murray State improves to 2-4 overall and 1-2 in the OVC.

After holding Southeast Missouri to minus-four yards in four plays on the opening drive of the game, the Racers wasted little time scoring in the ball game. Humphries took MSU 39 yards down the field and capped the drive with a 21 yard pass to Nevar Griffin, making it 7-0 early in in the contest.

The Redhawks would then retake the lead with a field goal late in the first quarter and a touchdown early in the second. The 21 yard field goal by Ryan McCrum came after Eriq Moore intercepted Humphries at the MSU 44. In the team's very next drive, Kyle Snyder put the Redhawks on top, 10-7, with a five yard pass to Adrian Davis.

However, the lead did not last long as Humphries tossed a 75-yard pass to Davis on just the third play following the Southeast touchdown. The subsequent extra point gave MSU a 14-10 lead on a drive that lasted just 50 seconds and went 75 yards in only three plays.

Late in the second half, the Redhawks drove down the field and looked as if they would retake the lead with a touchdown. However, once Southeast got the ball to the Murray State seven, the Racer defense stepped up and did not allow them to advance any further. The Redhawks ended up settling for another field goal by Crum, giving MSU a slim 14-13 lead at the break.

In the second half, Murray State made Southeast pay for an illegal procedure on the kick-off and used the short field to score just 55 seconds into the half. Humphries connected with Griffin for the duo's second touchdown of the day, a 55 yard pass that extended Murray State's lead to 21-13.

Southeast would answer later in the quarter with an 11-yard quarterback rush by Snyder. The Redhawks then tied the game at 21 on a two-point conversion rush from DeMichael Jackson.

Murray State's quick offense once again went to work on the next drive and marched 75 yards down the field in just 1:39 to score and retake the lead, 28-21. Humphries capped the drive with a five yard pass to DeQavius Walker, for his first reception and score of the year.

However, Southeast would not go away and answered with a scoring drive of its own to begin the fourth quarter. The Redhawks scored on a nine-yard pass from Snyder to Peter Lloyd to tie the game at 28.

Later in the quarter, Southeast took advantage of a Murray State fumble and proceeded to advance the ball down the field. The Racer looked like they had the Redhawks stopped on the 11 yard line, but the visitors were able to convert a four and inches to continue the drive. Just two plays later, Snyder found Adrian Davis in the corner of the end zone to give Southeast its first lead of the game at 35-28 with just 3:09 to play.

However just when it looked like it was over, Murray State put together another drive that went 80 yards down the field in just 2:23. Humphries ended the drive in spectacular fashion with a 23 yard touchdown pass to Griffin, his third of the day to the receiver, to tie the game at 35 with just 46 seconds to play.

In overtime, Humphries found Griffin again for a 22 yard pass that got Murray State to the 1-yard line. Despite the big play, the Southeast defense held the Racers to a field goal, leaving the door open for a Redhawk win.

During the ensuing Southeast possession, St. Pierre Anilus came up with a 13-yard sack, forcing the Redhawks to take a 52-yard field goal attempt. McCrum, however, was up the challenge and buried the kick to send the game to a second overtime. It was McCrum's third made field goal of 50-plus yards this season.

Southeast was up first in the second overtime and was once again held to field goal that McCrum made to give his team a 41-38 lead. In MSU's possession, Pokey Harris ran three times for 11 yards, before Humphries found Janawski Davis from seven yards out for the game winning touchdown.

Humphries finished the game with 21 completions on 36 attempts with one interception for 297 yards. The six touchdowns ties a school record for score in a game, a record set by Derrick Cullors in 1995 against Morehead State.