School condemned, some Meridian students will attend class in mo - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

School condemned, some Meridian students will attend class in modular buildings

MOUNDS, IL (KFVS) -

Less than three weeks from the first day of school, the Meridian High School parking lot looks more like a construction site. Crews are working to set up five mobile offices before the start of the school year.

Meridian Elementary School students will start the new school year, and spend the next two years in modular classrooms.

Meridian Elementary School was condemned after cleaning crews discovered toxic mold last summer.

That created a space crunch for the Meridian School District. All students went to class in the high school on a split schedule. Pre-K to second graders and seventh through twelfth grades went to school from 7 a.m. to noon. Third through sixth grade took over the school from noon until 5 p.m.

“It was very hectic,” said Meridian School superintendent David Rademacher. “Teachers, staff, community and students all endured a lot because of that.”

The new modular classrooms will allow the district to return its schedule to a normal school day. Elementary school students will attend class in the mobile classrooms until a new school is constructed.

“They’re all very excited to be able to have a regular school day and have their own place now,” said Rademacher.

Meridian received a 75 percent grant from the state to construct a new elementary school. Rademacher says the district will pay the remaining 25 percent.

“We’re hoping to build an addition behind our current high school, so hopefully we’ll be in the modulars for two years and then move into the new modulars,” said Rademacher.

In the meantime, crews are working to install plumbing, electric, fire alarms, intercoms, and internet into the mobile classrooms before the first day of school, August 18.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.

  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • Murray State University receives final installment of $1M gift from BB&T Bank

    Murray State University receives final installment of $1M gift from BB&T Bank

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:33 PM EDT2018-07-17 16:33:05 GMT
    There is support of faculty fellowships in three distinct academic departments (source:  Murray State University)There is support of faculty fellowships in three distinct academic departments (source: Murray State University)
    source:  Murray State Universitysource: Murray State University

    Murray State University has received the final installment of a $1 million gift from BB&T Bank to support the University’s Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business. The generous contribution, which was made payable over the past 10 years in $100,000 annual installments, has been stewarded to encourage the understanding and application of moral capitalism and its tenets. 

    Murray State University has received the final installment of a $1 million gift from BB&T Bank to support the University’s Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business. The generous contribution, which was made payable over the past 10 years in $100,000 annual installments, has been stewarded to encourage the understanding and application of moral capitalism and its tenets. 

  • Police: Armed, dangerous suspect wanted after Sikeston armed robbery

    Police: Armed, dangerous suspect wanted after Sikeston armed robbery

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:25 PM EDT2018-07-17 16:25:01 GMT
    An armed and dangerous suspect is wanted in connection with an armed robbery at the Dollar General in Sikeston, Mo. (Source: Sikeston DPS)An armed and dangerous suspect is wanted in connection with an armed robbery at the Dollar General in Sikeston, Mo. (Source: Sikeston DPS)

    An armed and dangerous man is wanted after a reported armed robbery at a Sikeston, Missouri store on Monday, July 16.

    An armed and dangerous man is wanted after a reported armed robbery at a Sikeston, Missouri store on Monday, July 16.

  • K-9 officers get cooling vests from Carbondale, IL animal hospital

    K-9 officers get cooling vests from Carbondale, IL animal hospital

    Tuesday, July 17 2018 12:13 PM EDT2018-07-17 16:13:53 GMT
    The vests will be helpful for the K-9 officers in the summer heat (Source: Carbondale Police Department)The vests will be helpful for the K-9 officers in the summer heat (Source: Carbondale Police Department)
    The vests will be helpful for the K-9 officers in the summer heat (Source: Carbondale Police Department)The vests will be helpful for the K-9 officers in the summer heat (Source: Carbondale Police Department)

    The Carbondale Police Department is giving a big thank you to the staff at Strigel Animal Hospital for a special donation.

    The Carbondale Police Department is giving a big thank you to the staff at Strigel Animal Hospital for a special donation.

Powered by Frankly