BBQ smoker catches fire, causes power outage - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

BBQ smoker catches fire, causes power outage

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - A few homes in Cape Girardeau lost power early Monday morning after an unattended barbeque smoker caught fire.

It happened at 709 S. Benton around 6:32 a.m.

The Cape Girardeau Fire Department found flames and smoke coming from a storage shed behind a home when crews arrived on scene.

Crews brought the fire under control within 15 minutes.

Firefighters were on scene until around 8 a.m.

The fire was caused by an unattended barbeque smoker.

Power was also knocked out for several surrounding neighbors’ due to an overhead power line that was damaged from the fire.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.
  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • John Shultz named SIC’S 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member

    John Shultz named SIC’S 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member

    Monday, April 23 2018 3:30 PM EDT2018-04-23 19:30:48 GMT
    SIC’s 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member of the year John Shultz (right) works with student Stephanie Dowdy during microbiology.SIC’s 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member of the year John Shultz (right) works with student Stephanie Dowdy during microbiology.
    SIC’s 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member of the year John Shultz (right) works with student Stephanie Dowdy during microbiology.SIC’s 2018 Outstanding Faculty Member of the year John Shultz (right) works with student Stephanie Dowdy during microbiology.

    Biology instructor John Shultz has been selected by his peers as the Loren P. and Velma Dallas Outstanding Teacher of the Year at Southeastern Illinois College for 2017-18.

    Biology instructor John Shultz has been selected by his peers as the Loren P. and Velma Dallas Outstanding Teacher of the Year at Southeastern Illinois College for 2017-18.

  • Fire marshal investigating after deadly fire in Puxico, MO

    Fire marshal investigating after deadly fire in Puxico, MO

    Monday, April 23 2018 3:28 PM EDT2018-04-23 19:28:54 GMT
    A Puxico, Missouri man has died after a fire at a home on Sunday, April 23, according to the county coroner. (Source: Pixabay.com) (Source: PixabayA Puxico, Missouri man has died after a fire at a home on Sunday, April 23, according to the county coroner. (Source: Pixabay.com) (Source: Pixabay

    A Puxico, Missouri man has died after a fire at a home on Sunday, April 23, according to the county coroner.

    A Puxico, Missouri man has died after a fire at a home on Sunday, April 23, according to the county coroner.

  • Southern IL schools take stand against child abuse

    Southern IL schools take stand against child abuse

    Southern IL schools take stand against child abuse

    Monday, April 23 2018 3:26 PM EDT2018-04-23 19:26:28 GMT
    Courtesy: Family Counseling Center, Inc.Courtesy: Family Counseling Center, Inc.
    Courtesy: Family Counseling Center, Inc.Courtesy: Family Counseling Center, Inc.

    The Family Counseling Center, Inc. in Southern Illinois holds activities in honor of child abuse prevention month. 

    The Family Counseling Center, Inc. in Southern Illinois holds activities in honor of child abuse prevention month. 

Powered by Frankly