Paducah gas leak caused voluntary home evacuation

Paducah gas leak caused voluntary home evacuation

PADUCAH, KY (KFVS) - A gas leak in Paducah that caused a voluntary evacuation of homes early Tuesday morning has been taken care of, according to officials.

According to the Paducah Police Department, crews were called to the scene around 1 a.m. for a gas leak in the 800 to 1000 block of North Twenty-third and North Twenty-fourth streets.

Paducah Fire Department officials say the gas leak happened when someone accidentally backed over a gas meter.

People living around the gas leak were asked to evacuate their homes until the leak was under control, however police say this was not a mandatory evacuation.

Within an hour, those who evacuated were able to return to their homes.

The damage is expected to be permanently fixed sometime Tuesday morning.

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.