Man accused in shooting death of wife: "gun went off and it shot her"

Man accused in shooting death of wife: "gun went off and it shot her"
Stevie Lott (Source: Sikeston Department of Public Safety)
Stevie Lott (Source: Sikeston Department of Public Safety)

SIKESTON, MO (KFVS) - A woman is dead and her husband was taken into custody following an early morning homicide in Sikeston.

Stevie Cordale Lott, 41, was charged with second degree murder, armed criminal action, felon in possession of a gun, endangering the welfare of a child and leaving the scene of a shooting. Bond was set at $250,000 cash only.

According to Scott County Coroner Scott Amick, it happened around 3 a.m. on Thursday at 413 John R. Boulevard. Sikeston DPS received a call in reference to a domestic disturbance.

When Sikeston DPS officers arrived, they found the body of a 28-year-old Nyketia Lott of Sikeston. She was shot in the back of the head, according to Scott County Coroner Scott Amick.

According to Sikeston DPS Capt. Jim McMillen, Lott was alone in the home when police arrived.

The SEMO Major Case Squad was activated and investigators began working the case.

Around two hours later, Sikeston DPS found Lott's husband, Stevie Lott, and took him into custody at his brother's house.

According to the probable cause statement, Stevie Lott says he and his wife were arguing early Thursday morning when "the gun went off and it shot her.".

Officers responding to the scene reportedly found Mrs. Lott's 2-year-old son asleep in one bedroom and her body wedged between the bed and wall in another. She had been shot in the back of the head.

Authorities say Lott has a lengthy criminal record that includes a conviction for involuntary manslaughter, armed criminal action, and assault. He has been arrested at least 13 times, according to the probable cause statement.

"Police came to my door, they knocked on it early this morning," said Ruth Mitchell, a neighbor. "They asked me if I had heard anything? I told them no. He said, well something happened next door, a shooting. I said, oh really? I told him I went to bed at 11:30, and I didn't hear anything that happened."

"I just can't believe it, said Itell Bean, who is visiting relatives. "I'm down here from Savannah, Georgia. I'm down here helping my sister out. And, to wake up to something like this, it is unbelievable."

The case is still under investigation.

An autopsy was set for Thursday.

Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.