Boston bombing suspect in custody

Police gather, guns drawn, at Watertown, MA. (Source: CNN)
Police gather, guns drawn, at Watertown, MA. (Source: CNN)

WATERTOWN, MA (RNN) - Police have taken the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody, according to the Boston Police Department. Officers are still sweeping the area.


TIMELINE: The Boston Marathon Bombings

Review the prominent events of the Boston Marathon bombings and its aftermath in an interactive timeline.

More >>

Marathon suspect leaves digital footprint on Twitter, Russian Facebook

(RNN) - While he's been on the run from the FBI, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has spent some of that time tweeting.

His account, @J-tsar, shows activity the day of the bombing, and the two days following.

On Monday, he tweeted "Ain't no love in the heart of the city, stay safe people," the same day the FBI says he dropped a bomb at the Boston Marathon that killed three people. "Aint no love in the heart of the city" is the name of a song by Bobby Blue Bland and a song lyric from rapper Jay Z.

Later that same day, he tweeted "There are people that know the truth but stay silent & there are people that speak the truth but we don't hear them cuz they're the minority."

The next day, Tuesday, he tweeted "I'm a stress free kind of guy" and "Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say but nothing comes out when they move their lips; just a bunch of gibberish."

His tweets stop after Wednesday.

On Thursday, the FBI released photos of Dzhokar, known to friends as Jahar, and his brother Tameralan Tsarnaev, as suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing.

A social media account on the Russian version of Facebook shows he lists his name as "Djohar Tsarnaev," his world view as Islam and his personal priority as "career and money."

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Additional Links

Explosions at Boston Marathon

FBI releases additional enhanced photos of bomb suspects

Shots fired near MIT campus, officer killed

Conflicting reports on bombing suspect's arrest

3rd victim in marathon bombing identified as Boston Univ. student

Applause was heard from residents as a police car exited the scene at 8:45 p.m. ET. The suspect was then transferred to an ambulance.

Gunfire and eight to 10 explosions were heard as police wearing tactical gear have surrounded a house in the search for 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was labeled Suspect 2 by FBI, and was shown wearing a white hat at the scene of the bombing in photographs released to the public on Thursday.

About 30 minutes after a police held a news conference lifting the city lockdown after stating they had not located Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, law enforcement vehicles and ambulances were seen rushing to a home in Watertown.

Police are shining floodlights on a boat on a trailer near a garage in the back yard of a house and fired flash bangs grenades in the vicinity in an effort to flush out the suspect. Flash bang produce a loud noise and bright light, designed to stun a suspect. Police might also be using tear gas to force the suspect out of his hiding place.

The Boston Globe reports that the suspect sat up in the boat after the flash bang grenades were fired.

The Boston Police Twitter account is urging people to stay inside because of police operations.

Police do have a visual on the person as night falls, which could be an advantage to police due to night-vision equipment. Snipers are seen in the area.

Officials want do everything to make sure Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is captured alive because he may have valuable intelligence.

Before night fell, law enforcement officials were seen running with children to emergency vehicles as the tactical team sets up. Surrounding homes were evacuated.

During the late afternoon news conference, the superintendent of Massachusetts State Police pledged to bring a suspect to justice as law enforcement continues to search for the second man believed responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings.

Authorities said the suspect, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, abandoned the vehicle he was driving and ran over his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, before fleeing on foot. Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed in a fire fight with police Thursday night.

The FBI has admitted they interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older brother, two years ago to see if he had extremist ties. The interview came at the request of the foreign government, but the FBI has not said which country made the request.

No information came from the interview. The mother spoke to media earlier saying that her older son was "persecuted" by the FBI.

Early Friday, officials shut down all of Boston, Watertown and the surrounding area while they went door-to-door looking for the surviving suspect. Normal activities should resume along with a higher than usual police presence for the weekend.

"We do not have an apprehension, but we will have one. We are committed to that," said Massachusetts State Police Col. Timothy Alben.

Officials fear he may be wearing an explosive vest, according to the Boston Globe. CNN reported police found homemade explosives during searches Friday, and experts performed controlled detonations throughout the day. His brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, did have an explosive device on his body when police apprehended him before his death.

Alben said he believed the surviving suspect is still in Massachusetts and also confirmed that the two men did not rob a convenience store before exchanging gunfire with law enforcement.

Surveillance video from a store showing Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev was released early Friday.

The suspects' father expressed grief and disbelief over the crimes and was worried he could not get in touch with any of his other family.

"All phones are switched off. I can't get through to my brothers even," said Anzor Tsarnaev, who lives in Dagestan. "One of them is a great lawyer, and I can't get through to him. I want to get more information. Those are my kids, you understand?

"I'm afraid for my other boy. Maybe he will be shot dead too."

The back-to-back explosions killed three people and injured more than 180 at the Boston Marathon on Monday. Many of the victims underwent amputations.

Those killed include 8-year-old Martin Richard. The boy's 6-year-old sister lost a leg in the attack, and his mother suffered a brain injury.

Krystle M. Campbell, 29, from Medford, MA, and Lu Lingzi, a 23-year-old graduate student at Boston University, were also killed.

Interpol released an "orange alert" for the 190 member countries to search for similarly crafted bombs to those at the Boston Marathon. This global alert contains the fingerprints of the two suspects. Interpol delivers information to law enforcement agencies across the globe.

Chaos, gunfight, explosions

Two men police believed were the bombing suspects carjacked a man in Cambridge and fled, according to a statement from the Middlesex County district attorney.

Police began to pursue the two suspects, who threw explosives and fired on police as they drove from Cambridge into Watertown.

A man in his 20s who was thought to be a suspect but later cleared and released was ordered to strip naked, according to CNN. Officials were concerned he had explosives on his body.

Law enforcement officials consider Dzhokhar Tsarnaev armed and extremely dangerous.

"We believe this to be a terrorist. We believe this to be a man who came here to kill people," Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said in a news conference.

An alert was sent to MIT students reporting shots fired near the Cambridge campus Thursday night. Students were told to stay inside.

About 11,000 people attend MIT. Cambridge is three miles from Boston.

'Who can do this stuff?'

The two brothers were legal residents originally from a Russian region near Chechnya. Their uncle, Ruslan Tsarni, urged his nephew to turn himself in.

"Ask for forgiveness from the victims, from the injured and from those who loved them," Tsarni said outside his home in Montgomery County, MD.

Alvi Tsarni, another uncle to the suspects, told WBZ they have been in the U.S. since 2000 or 2001.

"It's crazy; it's not possible," said Tsarni of the suspected actions. "When I saw this on TV news, I said, 'Who can do this stuff?'"

The younger brother was on scholarship at UMass-Dartmouth, which was shut down for the day. CNN reported he moved to the U.S. with family at the age of 9 and became a naturalized citizen less than eight months ago, on Sept. 11.

Former high school classmates talked about Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as a seemingly normal teen who went to parties and was captain of the wrestling team. However, many of the friends said they hadn't spoken to him in a year or more.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a former Golden Gloves boxer who hoped to make the Olympics team. He was studying to become an engineer at Bunker Hill Community College. He has a 3-year-old daughter, and it is unclear if he is married to the child's mother.

The search has been focused primarily in Watertown, MA, and Alben said their No. 1 priority was neighborhoods in the town. Patrick said people in Cambridge, Waltham, Newton and Belmont have also been told to stay in their homes.

Officer killed

MIT police officer Sean Collier, 26, of Somerville was killed in a confrontation with the brothers, according to the Boston Globe.

A Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority officer identified as 33-year-old Richard Donohue Jr. was also shot. He was listed in serious condition at Mount Auburn Hospital.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the man pictured in a black cap in images released from the marathon by the FBI, may have been killed by explosives he had in his possession.

Officials have not allowed traffic in or out of Watertown and asked area businesses not to open Friday. Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston University and Emerson also canceled classes for the day.

The Bruins and the Red Sox had games scheduled Friday, but both teams announced the games had been postponed.

Previously known as "Suspect 1," Tamerlan Tsarnaev was taken to Beth Israel Hospital - the same place 12 bombing victims are being treated - where he was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m. ET Friday.

Doctors held a brief news conference about the patient, who was in cardiac arrest before he arrived at the hospital.

"He had multiple injuries - blast and multiple gunshot wounds," Dr. David Schoenfeld said.

Schoenfeld refused to comment on the cause of death.

"[The] patient did suffer significant trauma," he said.

Copyright 2013 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.