BOSTON, MA (RNN) – Inconsistent statements from sources within the Boston bombing investigation may have led to a premature announcement of an arrest.
Federal law enforcement officials, including the FBI, DOJ and the U.S. Attorney's office in Boston have denied an arrest was made. However, officials have identified a suspect.
Hundreds of people, including media personnel, converged on the federal courthouse, yet there are very few police or other law enforcement officials on scene.
An official reported an arrest has been made in the Boston Marathon bombing, according to CNN. However, reporters later received word from multiple sources there had not been anyone brought in to be charged.
"Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack," the Boston Police Department tweeted.
The Associated Press amended its report to add federal officials were denying they had anyone suspected of the crime in holding.
AP had reported a suspect was in custody and would be taken to a Boston federal court. Dozens of people began to congregate outside a courthouse in anticipation of the appearance.
CNN reported a breakthrough Wednesday in identifying someone who may be responsible. An official told CNN that analysis of video from the Lord & Taylor department store on Boylston Street played a key role.
That and footage from a local TV station showed a man who appeared to drop a bag in the area of the second blast.
The source called it "substantial progress" in the investigation. An FBI news conference has been scheduled for 5 p.m. ET.
Wiring, a circuit board and remnants of a pressure cooker can be seen in images the FBI released of one of the marathon bomber's devices.
Officials circulated more photos Wednesday. Other things shown in photos released to Reuters included metal BBs fused together, nails, various pieces of unidentified metal, black nylon from a duffel bag and batteries.
Authorities also found the lid to the pressure cooker on the roof of a building near the blast site, according to CNN.
The FBI has repeatedly asked people for help in finding evidence to identify the person or people responsible. Members of the task force said someone may have seen a person carrying an unusually heavy nylon backpack weighted down with a bomb.
"At this time, there are no claims of responsibility," said Rick DesLauriers, FBI agent in charge in Boston. "But this is someone's friend, neighbor, coworker or relative. Someone knows who did this."
Boston area news affiliate WHDH published two viewer photos showing the scene before and after the bombs exploded.
The first picture shows a crowd of people lined up along the race course with a white bag in front of a barricade.
In the second photo, heavily blurred due to its graphic nature, the bag is not present. The viewer said the photos could have been taken an hour or more apart.
CNN reported 100 of the 183 people injured in the Patriots Day attack had been released from hospitals where they received care. At least 13 of the 183 required limb amputations.
A 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition Wednesday, according to the Associated Press.
Three people died when two bombs ignited near the finish line of the marathon at 2:50 p.m. ET Monday.
The third victim was identified Wednesday as Boston University graduate student Lingzi Lu. Krystle Campbell, 29, and 8-year-old Martin Richard were also killed.
Martin's mother, father and sister were injured by the blast as well.
"My dear son Martin has died from injuries sustained in the attack on Boston," his father, Bill Richard, said in a statement. "My wife and daughter are both recovering from serious injuries. We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers"
Campbell and Karen Rand were waiting for a friend to cross the finish line when the explosion happened. According to CNN, Campbell's family was initially told by Massachusetts General that she had survived, but it turned out Rand had been mistaken for her.
Her mother spoke from the family's home Tuesday.
"She was a wonderful person and everybody that knew her loved her," Patty Campbell said. "She loved her dogs. She had a heart of gold."
Boston-area public safety unions offered a $50,000 reward for information on the attack.
An interfaith service to honor the victims has been scheduled for Thursday in the city. President Barack Obama is expected to be in attendance.
Obama called the bombing an act of terror when he spoke Tuesday. He reasserted his pledge to bring those responsible to justice, as well as crediting people for rallying to help the victims.
"If you want to know who we are, who America is, how we respond to evil - that's it. Selflessly, compassionately, unafraid," he added.
According to AP, Massachusetts General said 12 of the 31 people who came in from the bombing remain under care Wednesday morning. Beth Israel still has 13 of the 24 people sent there.
Boston Medical Center has 19 of its 23 bombing patients still being treated, including a 5-year-old boy in critical condition, but all are expected to survive.
Brigham and Women's Hospital still has 15 of its original 31 patients, and reported five are in critical condition. Boston Children's has three remaining of its original 10 patients, and Tufts Medical Center has released half of its 14 patients, AP reported.
Police ask anyone with information to call 1-800-494-TIPS. Anyone looking for information on loved ones can call 617-635-4500.