More retirees are taking on "Encore Careers" - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

More retirees are taking on "Encore Careers"

(Source: MGN Online) (Source: MGN Online)
PERRYVILLE, MO (KFVS) -

We tend to think of retirement as golfing more, taking vacations, and spending time with the grand kids. But, more retirees are choosing to forgo the relaxation for a second job.

"I've been a teacher for 30 some years," said Georganne Syler.

"I worked for the Missouri Department of Conservation, and I worked for them for just a little over 40 years," said Ed Ponder.

"I worked in the corporate world for 20 plus years," said Peg MacDougall.

After putting in decades of work, you would think people like Ponder couldn't wait for retirement.

"More or less did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it," said Ponder.

But more and more retirees are taking on ‘Encore Careers,' a steady job after they retire.

"I still feel like I'm healthy enough and productive enough," said Ponder.

"You'd be bored to death if you stayed home all the time," said Syler.

Ponder now mows the grass the Perryville Airport.

"You hear too many people that they retire, and are bored," said Ponder.

"I get up in the morning and think oh I feel so guilty I'm not going to work," said Syler.

Syler retired in 2012. Now, she volunteers at organizations around town and was just elected to the Cape Girardeau County Public Health Board.

"I do feel like I still have lots of energy and interest and hopefully positive things I can contribute," said Syler.

"My parents both retired at 55 and they both kind of just stopped, and I knew I didn't have that in me," said MacDougall.

MacDougall opened the Edward Bernard Gallery for her encore career.

"I was going to be sitting on my derrière doing nothing, and I just couldn't accept that," said MacDougall.

All three retirees said their jobs are not about the money.

"It was for my entertainment," said MacDougall.

"I could never sit in the house and actually do nothing, got to have a hobby or something," said

But Ponder said he isn't giving up relaxation all together.

"We've been on an Alaskan cruise, we've been on an Eastern Caribbean cruise," said Ponder.

Copyright 2013 KFVS. All rights reserved.

• Heartland NewsMore>>

• Fisk woman killed in house fire

Saturday, May 26 2018 11:56 AM EDT2018-05-26 15:56:52 GMT
    A Fisk woman was killed in a house fire. (Source: Raycom Media)A Fisk woman was killed in a house fire. (Source: Raycom Media)

A woman died in a house fire on Friday, May 25 in Fisk.

A woman died in a house fire on Friday, May 25 in Fisk.

First Alert: Showers and storms possible this weekend

Saturday, May 26 2018 9:45 AM EDT2018-05-26 13:45:16 GMT
    (Source: KFVS)(Source: KFVS)

There is a chance for isolated showers/storms to develop especially in our southeastern half of the Heartland.

Teacher, SIU alum shot three times in Indiana school shooting

Friday, May 25 2018 10:45 PM EDT2018-05-26 02:45:54 GMT
    A teacher who went to SIU in Carbondale was shot three times charging an active shooter at an Indiana school on Friday, May 25, according to SIU.  (SIU Athletics, Facebook)A teacher who went to SIU in Carbondale was shot three times charging an active shooter at an Indiana school on Friday, May 25, according to SIU.  (SIU Athletics, Facebook)

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Police release body cam footage of I-95 shooting death

Friday, May 25 2018 11:21 PM EDT2018-05-26 03:21:37 GMT
    Marcus-David Peters was shot and killed by a Richmond police officer on Monday, May 14. (Source: Richmond Police Department)Marcus-David Peters was shot and killed by a Richmond police officer on Monday, May 14. (Source: Richmond Police Department)

The Richmond Police Department released body camera and surveillance camera footage on Friday of the shooting death of Marcus-David Peters.

'In lieu of flowers, kill a drug dealer': Mother pens brutally honest obituary after son's suicide

Friday, May 25 2018 8:57 PM EDT2018-05-26 00:57:08 GMT

It's every mother's worst nightmare. On Thursday, April 12, Shawn Winkler shot himself in the head in the garage of his Leland family home. He died three days later at 30 years old.

Water moccasin invades home, puts family into action

Friday, May 25 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-05-25 18:57:52 GMT
    This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)This water moccasin entered a family's home. (Photo courtesy Krystal King)

An unwelcome visitor was cause for some tense moments and quick action in the King household Saturday morning. Krystal King says it was about 7 a.m. when Stephen, her oldest son, came into his parents' room to notify them about the "big snake in the bathroom."