CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - Eggs are an Easter staple. The festive multi-colored tradition brings joy to children and adults alike. When the Easter fun is done you're faced with a conundrum. You don't want them to go to waste, but a person can only eat so many plain hard-boiled eggs! This week's Heartland Cook has a solution. Lisa Burns' cheese and bacon stuffed eggs are well-known at KFVS. These aren't your mama's deviled eggs. Their zesty, spicy flavor really livens up a dozen. Lisa's husband, Breakfast Show Anchor Jim Burns, often brings Lisa's famous eggs for office potlucks and they are always a big hit in the newsroom.
- 12 eggs, boiled and peeled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon honey mustard
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Tablespoons finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers (fresh or from a jar)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons Tabasco (to taste)
Cut eggs in half and scoop out yolks. Set egg whites aside. In a medium size bowl mash yolks with a fork. Add mayonnaise, honey mustard, salt and pepper and mix lightly. Fold in crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, diced jalapenos and Tabasco.
Spoon mixture into the whites and sprinkle paprika on top. Cover eggs and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Lisa's tips on to boil the perfect egg:
- Cover eggs with cold water and bring to a full rolling boil.
- Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 12 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water and refrigerate until ready to use.