METROPOLIS, IL (KFVS) - Metropolis police say an elderly woman died in a house fire early Sunday morning.
Massac County Deputy Coroner Greg Russell says Betty Bowman, 80, of Metropolis died of smoke inhalation.
The Metropolis Police Department received a call of a house fire at 711 East 5th Street at 3:14 a.m. Sunday.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to a bedroom and bathroom. However, Bowman was found dead at the scene.
The Illinois State Fire Marshal's Office in cooperation with the Metropolis Police Department and Metropolis Fire Department are investigating.
The initial findings of their investigation indicate fire could have started by a cigarette in bed. It is believed to be accidental. No foul play is suspected.
Official results from the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal are expected within 2-3 weeks.
Fire crews stayed on scene until 6:45 a.m.