(KFVS) - Getting in shape and staying healthy is a struggle for many. Luckily, there are things you can do to help you get to the level of health you're looking for and to burn fat more efficiently.
Jim Stoppani, Ph.D., outlines what you should do and what kinds of foods work best for burning fat and lowering your fat intake in his article "Don't Give Fat a Chance."
Stoppani says you have to combine things that work well together to release and eliminate fat in your body.
Things that will release fat in your system include:
- Caffeine: take 200-400mg of caffeine between meals, 2-3 times per day. Take one dose 30-60 minutes before training-day workouts.
- Yohimbe: contains an active compound that boosts libido and helps with fat loss. Take 5-20mg per dose, two to three times a day.
These things will work to burn calories in the body:
- Green Tea extract
- Olea Europaea extract
Stoppani says fat transporters are important because they help move fat to energy centers. Carnitine is a type of amino acid that moves fat to mitochondria where it is completely burned up. Stoppani recommends taking 1-3g of carnitine in the form of L-camitine or acetyl-L-camitine two to three times per day with meals. One dose should be for your pre-workout meal and one should be for the post-meal.
Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) is said to stop fat. Take 1-3g of CLA with breakfast, lunch and your last meal at night.
Also important are things that will activate genes that burn fats:
- Fucuxanthin: a chemical that activates genes that increase calories burned and genes that increase fat-cell growth.
- Fish oil: provides omega-3 fats that are found to turn on genes that increase fat burning.
Stoppani concludes that there are four steps to attack fat:
- Free up fat from fat cells
- Increase calorie burn
- Burn more fat by 'fat transporting to energy centers'
- Decrease the amount of fat the body stores