MARION, IL (KFVS) - The Marion Unit 2 Superintendent Dr. Keith Oates says the district is looking at different proposals for the upcoming fiscal year, based on what they believe their revenue will be from taxes and the state.
The Illinois State Board of Education has given Marion CUSD 2 a financial profile designation of "Financial Watch" for the 2010-2011 fiscal year and the 2011-2012 fiscal year. The district says this is the lowest financial designation an Illinois school district can receive.
The current 2012-2013 fiscal year budget is balanced as a result of the budget plan the Board of Education adopted in March 2012. However, the State of Illinois is expected to reduce state payments again which will push the district into deficit spending if no action is taken.
According to the district, in an effort to be fiscally responsible and eliminate deficit spending, the Board of Education will be considering the following reductions to balance the 2013-2014 fiscal year Education Fund budget:
- Close the MHS Extension Center which supports learning for the 55 MHS students
- Move Adams JH students to Marion JH - Adams currently has 72 JH students
- Non-union salary freezes
- Secretarial work schedule adjustments
- Reduction of one nurse
- Elimination of two, 100 day positions
- Reduction in district technology department
- Reduction in MHS Athletic Programs - Bass fishing, bowling and tennis
- One administrator