(KFVS) - Emergency officials say its important to be prepared for severe weather.
Cairo Fire Chief and member of the Alexander County Emergency Management Board John Meyer says it is important to know what to do before, during and after a storm.
Meyer says that these tips are important and can help save your life.
Before the storm
- Charge your cell phone before the storm hits.
- Check your batteries in your flashlights.
- You need to stock up and make sure you have at least four days of water and food just in case.
When the storm arrives and during the storm
- Heed any warnings and make sure you get to safety.
- Go to the lowest part of your home. If you don't have a basement, get in a bathtub.
- Bring your cell phone, weather radio, blankets and flashlight with you.
- Cover yourself by getting under a table or ducking down and placing your hands over your head to protect yourself from any debris.
After the storm
- If you receive any damage, call 911 and use your phone to call anyone else to notify that you are in trouble or that you are okay.
Meyer also adds that Alexander County, among other counties have a notification system called Nixle that can send text messages directly to your phone. Check with your area to see what options you may have for any notifications to help you get the latest information. For Alexander County residents, text your zip code to 88777 to sign up.