CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - This week's Heartland Cook comes from Jackson, Missouri. Kathy Horn says her famous fruit salad is an ideal side dish or dessert for holidays, brunch or special events. We suggest this flavorful dish for a bridal shower, baby shower or any pot luck where you're looking for something to share that's a light but tasty treat.
- Fresh fruit in season (Anything but bananas)
- ½ lb. seedless grapes
- 2 large apples (diced)
- 2 large oranges (diced)
- 1 dozen strawberries (halved or sliced)
- 1 can sliced peaches (diced and drained)
- 1 can pineapple chunks (drained)
- 1 can mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1 small package of each of the following:
- dried blueberries
- dried cranberries
- dried cherries
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding
Cut the fresh fruit into bite-sized pieces and put in large bowl drain canned fruit and add to the mix.
Add dried fruit. Sprinkle lemon juice over fruit to keep it looking fresh.
Add large package of sugar-free instant vanilla pudding powder. (Do not follow the directions on the pudding box). Stir well and refrigerate.
Once it is chilled you have your own famous fruit salad to serve!