Mother, son escape early morning house fire - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Mother, son escape early morning house fire

According to Dexter Fire Department Chief, Don Seymore, they got the call to the home on Adams drive around 4:30 a.m. According to Dexter Fire Department Chief, Don Seymore, they got the call to the home on Adams drive around 4:30 a.m.
Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter. Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter.
Chief Seymore says a mother and her adult son were home when the fire started. Chief Seymore says a mother and her adult son were home when the fire started.
Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter. Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter.
DEXTER, MO (KFVS) -

Fire crews fought a house fire early Thursday morning in Dexter. 

According to Dexter Fire Department Chief Don Seymore, they got the call to the home on Adams drive around 4:30 a.m. He says the fire was likely started by a space heater.

Chief Seymore says a mother and her adult son were home when the fire started.

They got out of the house and the woman went to a neighbor's house to call 911.

Chief Seymore say the man, in his 50s, was airlifted to a St. Louis hospital with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. 

He reportedly suffered those burns while trying to put out the fire with a garden hose. No word on his condition Thursday afternoon.

The woman, in her 70s, was taken to a Dexter hospital for smoke inhalation.  Fire crews were still on the scene at 6 a.m. She was released from the hospital Thursday morning.

The home is heavily damaged. Chief Seymore says the fire started in a bedroom.

"About 4:30 this morning, we received a call to a dwelling on Adams Drive," said Chief Seymore. "We arrived on Adams Drive on the north end of the house, flames were visible throughout the roof."

The Dexter fire department is investigating.

Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.

  • Heartland NewsMore>>

  • Social media finds owner of army jacket

    Social media finds owner of army jacket

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 4:33 PM EDT2018-07-18 20:33:04 GMT
    Social media has shown just how powerful it can be once again, helping to get lost things back to where it belongs. (Source: Kelsey Anderson, KFVS)Social media has shown just how powerful it can be once again, helping to get lost things back to where it belongs. (Source: Kelsey Anderson, KFVS)
    (source: Kelsey Anderson, KFVS)(source: Kelsey Anderson, KFVS)

    Social media has shown just how powerful it can be once again, helping to get lost things back to where it belongs.  

    Social media has shown just how powerful it can be once again, helping to get lost things back to where it belongs.  

  • Sikeston, MO counselor uses power lifting to inspire clients

    Sikeston, MO counselor uses power lifting to inspire clients

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 4:27 PM EDT2018-07-18 20:27:45 GMT
    A clinical therapist at Bootheel Counseling in Sikeston, Missouri asked his clients to get out their own comfort zone. (Source: Mark Madigan)A clinical therapist at Bootheel Counseling in Sikeston, Missouri asked his clients to get out their own comfort zone. (Source: Mark Madigan)
    (source: Mark Madigan)(source: Mark Madigan)

    A clinical therapist at Bootheel Counseling in Sikeston asked his clients to get out their own comfort zone.  

    A clinical therapist at Bootheel Counseling in Sikeston asked his clients to get out their own comfort zone.  

  • First Alert: Scattered storms possible, but less humid

    First Alert: Scattered storms possible, but less humid

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 3:41 PM EDT2018-07-18 19:41:50 GMT
    Sunny day with wispy clouds near Olive Branch, IL.  (Source: William Foeste)Sunny day with wispy clouds near Olive Branch, IL. (Source: William Foeste)

    Temperatures are more pleasant this afternoon, running in the 80s to around 90. The heat index has been close to the actual temperature today in most areas.

    Temperatures are more pleasant this afternoon, running in the 80s to around 90. The heat index has been close to the actual temperature today in most areas.

Powered by Frankly