Fire Marshal rules apartment fire accidental - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

Fire Marshal rules apartment fire accidental

(Source: Shane Eaton, cNews) (Source: Shane Eaton, cNews)
(Source: Shane Eaton, cNews) (Source: Shane Eaton, cNews)
(Source: Shane Eaton, cNews) (Source: Shane Eaton, cNews)

Early Friday morning the state Fire Marshal wrapped up it's investigation of an apartment fire in Poplar Bluff.    

According to the Poplar Bluff fire department, the fire was accidental.  Preliminarily they believe a discarded cigarette started the massive fire.  The fire broke out in a two story building at an apartment complex in the 1100 Block of North Main Street around 8 p.m.

The Bluff fire department says no one was hurt but the building is a total loss. 

Fire officials say there were 13 units in the building, all were occupied.  No word on how many people lived in those units.  However, the American Red Cross cared for the displaced occupants Thursday night. 

Siding on a home next door also melted from the fire.  Fire officials say the apartment building did have working smoke detectors.

The American Red Cross says volunteers spent the early hours of the morning on Friday working with nine people who were displaced by the fire.

Several people who lived there were at work when the fire broke out. They expect to help several more people affected by the fire as the day goes along.

People can make a donation to Red Cross disaster services by going to, texting REDCROSS to 90999 or by calling 1-800-REDCROSS. 

If you would like to make a donation directly to your local Red Cross Chapter please contact Sara Gerau, Executive Director Financial Development, Southeast Missouri Chapter via email or mail your donation to: 

American Red Cross

Southeast Missouri Chapter

2430 Myra Drive

Cape Girardeau, MO 63703

Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly