Gas leak in Charleston causes houses to be evacuated

CHARLESTON, MO (KFVS) - A gas leak in Charleston caused people to evacuate a few houses Thursday.

Steve Green with Atmos Energy says someone with an outside party hit a 3 inch steel line in a Charleston neighborhood.

Green says there was enough gas blowing out of the line that combined with the wind, they felt it would be best to evacuate a few nearby houses.

Crews now have the gas shut off and everyone has been allowed back home.

As of 12:30 p.m., about 14 customers were without gas.

Green says they should have their gas turned back on by 3 p.m.

No one was injured.

Copyright 2012 KFVS. All rights reserved.