November 16, 2000 at 8:31 PM CST - Updated June 27 at 12:20 AM
A friend of mine was invited to her aunt's for Christmas dinner and was asked to bring a dessert. Her aunt had asked four other people to bring desserts, too. And guess what? They all brought pecan pie! After I heard that, I gave her this recipe, 'cause it's quick, easy, and rarely duplicated.
Creamy Peppermint Cheesecake
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
6 drops red food coloring
One 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
Whipped cream and candy canes for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the sour cream and vanilla; mix well.
3. Place 1/2 cup of the mixture in a small bowl and stir in the peppermint extract and food coloring; mix well. Pour the remaining cream cheese mixture into the pie crust. Smooth the top. Drop the peppermint mixture by spoonfuls into the mixture in the crust and swirl with a knife to create a marbled effect.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the edges are set (the center will be slightly loose).
5. Allow to cool for 1 hour, then cover and chill for at least 6 hours before serving. To serve, top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and a miniature candy cane, if desired.