METROPOLIS, IL (KFVS) - Multiple fire crews were called Saturday morning to the scene of a business fire in Metropolis.
Crews responded around 10:15 a.m. to Willy Jak's Restaurant, according to Massac County Sheriff's Office.
The business is located at 323 Ferry Street, on the corner of 4th street and Ferry Street.
Capt. Chad Parker says it's likely a grease fire started in the front kitchen and it spread to the 2nd floor, where supplies are stored. That is where most of the fire and smoke damage was found, along with damage to the roof.
"I asked Cory, the manager what was going on? And he told me the fryers caught on fire when he got in there," said the owner's daughter Sierra Lagore. "He had to get two guys out of the back who didn't even know there was a fire, they came up and everyone ran out. They tried to put the fire out."
And their efforts, combined with those of the Metropolis firefighters and Massac County's fire crews did keep the fire from spreading to adjoining buildings.
Crews were still working in the early afternoon to put out hot-spots on the 2nd floor.
Several employees were in the building when the fire started, but they all got out safely.
"This morning I got a phone call, I was lying down and they told me it was on fire," said Legore. "So I called my mom and brother they were in Paducah, and rushed over here and smoke was coming out of the building."
Witnesses reported seeing flames shooting from the rooftop Saturday morning.
Metropolis city and Massac County fire crews were called to fight the blaze. Traffic was being re-routed around the area until after 3p.m., firefighters say the fire is not suspicious.
The owners expect their business to be closed for several weeks.