CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - The American Red Cross Southeast Missouri Chapter says they are unable to accept inquiries to contact or locate family and friends in Japan after the the earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan.
However, the Red Cross suggest these resources for those with family and friends in Japan:
- Inquiries concerning U.S. citizens living or traveling in Japan should be referred to the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services at 1-888-407-4747 or 202 647-5225.
- For inquiries about relatives living in Japan who are not US citizens, encourage the members of the community to deep calling or to try contacting other family members who live in the region. Even though communication networks are overloaded right now, the situation may change and access to mobile networks and the Internet may improve.
- If you have the mobile phone number of your family member in the affected areas, you may utilize the following services to check whether he/she has registered his/her message (s) on this service. Services are available in English and Japanese.
- Please note that when you enter the mobile phone number for search on the webpage, you should remove the country code 0081 and add 0 at the beginning. For example, if you dial the number internationally as follows, 0081-90-8877-6655, enter it into the website as: 090-8877-6655.
Military Deployed to Japan:
- Briefing from the Pentagon this morning advised that there were no reports of US Military members injured due to the earthquake. Installations have been updating their web homepages and Facebook pages if more specific information is needed. Yokosuka installation has published a commercial number for families to call from the states 011-81-46-816-xxxx (xxxx= 1728, 1729, 1730, 1731, 1732 or 1733.
Welfare of people (on domestic soil):
- For those individuals interested in checking on the family members or friends on domestic soil, please log onto Red Cross safe and well. You may search for loved ones from a list of those who have registered themselves as "safe and well" by clicking on the Search Registrants button. The results of a successful search will display a loved one's first name, last name and a brief message.
- Donations may be made on the Red Cross national website.
- Scroll down until you see the golden boxed section entitled How to help Victims of Disasters. Click on Number One Donate Now and then click on the second icon – Disaster Relief for Countless crises.
If you would like to send a check locally they must clearly label it "Japan Earthquake," and mail or drop off at:
American Red Cross
2430 Myra Dr.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703