By Heartland News
CARBONDALE, IL (KFVS) - Carbondale police want to remind you to take measures to ensure no one steals your identity.
The department offers several tips to prevent identity theft:
- Limit the amount of personal information you carry including inside your car
- Avoid carrying more checks than you need
- Do not put your social security number, driver's license number, or telephone number on your checks
- Keep important documents locked up at home
- Limit the number of credit cards you have
- Never provide personal information over the phone or Internet, unless they are a reputable business and you've already established prior contact. Always request a call back phone number.
- Shred pre-approved credit card offers
- Review credit card, phone card, and bank statements when you get them and check for errors
- Periodically review your credit history
- Make sure no one is "shoulder surfing" or looking over your shoulder when you use the ATM
- If possible, get a P.O. box or a locked mail box to keep someone from stealing your mail
- When you're on vacation, ask the post office to hold your mail or have a trusted person collect it every day.