By Heartland News
BUTLER COUNTY, MO (KFVS) - Firefighters were called out to a trailer home fire in Butler County around 2 a.m. Thursday.
According to Jeff Harwell with the Butler County Fire Protection District, the home is on Mandolin Lane southwest of Poplar Bluff near the intersection of 67 and CR 480.
According to Ronald Root, he says he was inside the home with his 13-year-old daughter and his deaf 25-year-old son when the fire broke out.
"I woke up smelling smoke, looked up, and you couldn't see anything but smoke and fire," Root said. "I made it to my little girl's room and tried to drag her out and my older son. I had to go out and grab a breath and rescue him."
Root tells us they are OK, but he found the 13-year-old girl unconscious in her room with her face buried in her pillow and was able to get her and his son out.
The home has been destroyed in the fire. Harwell says the fire appears to have begun in the living room area of the home and was sparked by an electric heater.
Harwell says it took firefighters about 45 minutes to bring the flames under control.