Injured Chaffee football player talks about scary moments on the field

By Crystal Britt - bio | email

CHAFFEE, MO (KFVS) -  Thursday night was the first junior high football game of the season in Chaffee.

It was the third quarter, and the game against Portageville was close. Full back, Lane Henson, went up for a pass.

"Once I caught it I turned around and there was somebody," said Lane Henson. "He hit my legs, and I had another person he hit me from the side."

It was a clean tackle, he says, but was a rough landing to say the least.

"My leg snapped," said Lane.

Lane didn't get up.

"I heard my husband say that didn't look good," said Jennifer Henson, Lane's mom.

"I took my helmet off and started yelling," said Lane.

Immediately you see panic in the eyes of the adults on the field.  People were calling 911.  Lane's mother rushed to the field.

"I saw Lane laying on the ground, it was so scary. At that point I didn't know if he was dead or alive," said Jennifer.

"I could hear some players, they were yelling... oh my gosh... oh my gosh," said Lane.

Emotions were running high. In the video shot by a fan in the stands you can see Lane's father outside the circle of help around his son.

He was kneeling, praying to God. Lane says the pain was unbearable.

The injury was so gruesome, and his leg so contorted we can't even show you the close up photo.

"It was pretty nasty," said Lane.

The 13-year-old says he too began to pray.

"I said God please take the pain away, over and over again."

They called off the game and cleared the field as it would soon be a landing strip for a helicopter ready to airlift Lane to Cape Girardeau.

The Henson's weren't living through this nightmare alone.

"It was amazing, it was so crowded when we left. People stuck around. They were all in the gym praying, both teams. For them to stick around and want to support and pray it meant a lot," said Jennifer.

At Cape Girardeau, doctors set Lane's broken leg.  Then, he went to St. Louis for surgery.

Twenty-four hours later, amazingly he was back home in Chaffee.

"It doesn't hurt at all now, " said Lane.

He is not even taking pain medication.

He's sporting quite the cast, and can't do much other than text and e-mail his friends.

He made it home Friday just in time for the high school football game at Chaffee.

"He got a big standing ovation, passed his helmet around and collected lots of money to pay bills. Just amazing how people come together," said Jennifer.

Lane's been playing football since the fourth grade.  He says it's part of who he is.

"I love football; it's pretty much my favorite sport," said Lane.

He'll obviously be sitting the sidelines the rest of the season, and yes he plans to be back on the field next year.

"You can't keep them from everything they want to do. I'll support him all the way, but mom will be scared", said Jennifer.

For the memory box, Lane now has a football from game night, and home video of the incident to forever remind him and his family about this truly unforgettable experience.

"I'm so grateful for all the prayers and support. As you can see he's living proof, so thankful", said Jennifer.

"Thank you for supporting me and helping me through this, it really means a lot," said Lane.

Lane goes back to school on Tuesday.

He's expected to be in a cast for six to eight weeks.

Copyright 2010 KFVS. All rights reserved.