Cape Girardeau firefighters respond to fire at 1107 Merriwether

By Heartland News

CAPE GIRARDEAU (KFVS) - A fire at a Cape Girardeau rental home Monday evening appeared to be electrical in nature, according to the tenant.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 1107 Merriwether around 7:15 p.m.  According to firefighters, the fire started on the second floor and flames were clearly visible when they arrived.  The tenant said she was having a barbecue for her grandson at the time.

Everyone inside the home was able to escape without harm.

The tenant did not specify what may have caused the fire, only that it was electrical and appeared to be the result of an ongoing problem.

Cape Girardeau police responded for crowd control.

Copyright 2010 KFVS. All rights reserved.