(KFVS) - Shoppers can take advantage of the back-to-school sales tax holidays in Missouri and Illinois beginning Friday, August 6.
The first-ever sales tax holiday in Illinois allows shoppers to buy back-to-school supplies like paper, binders, pens, pencils, crayons, rulers, erasers, chalk, tape, and glue are eligible for the reduced sales tax rate.
Clothing that costs less than $100 per item, like shoes, outerwear, uniforms, gloves, hats, and mittens are eligible.
The sales tax holiday runs from August 6 to August 15 in Illinois.
In Missouri, the sales tax holiday runs from August 6 to August 8.
- Clothing – any article having a taxable value of $100 or less
- School supplies – not to exceed $50 per purchase
- Computer software – taxable value of $350 or less
- Personal computers – not to exceed $3,500
- Computer peripheral devices – not to exceed $3,500
Even though the state sales tax holiday will be waived on eligible items, some cities and counties have opted out of the holiday to maintain local sales tax collection.