Heartland Gardener: Frequently Asked Questions



Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How to eliminate sweetgum balls?

A: There is a product on the market called Florel that is effective eliminating sweetgum from producing their annoying gum balls. Spray the entire tree at the time of flowering with a solution of Florel. Be sure to read the label for directions and safety precautions.

Q: How to get rid of sandburs?

A: Sandbur is an annual grass with a seed head that is a prickly bur—thus the name sandbur. Since sandbur is an annual grass you need to apply a pre emergent herbicide to your lawn usually, prior to March 30the. Use one of the crabgrass preventers on the market.

If you find that sandbur still germinates after the spring application, use one of the glyphosate products as a post emergent. This product will also kill your existing lawn grass, so be careful to only spot spray the unwanted weed.

Q: How to control Broadleaf weeds in your lawn?

A: To control broadleaf weeds such as chickweed, henbet, dandelions, spurge, and wild garlic in your fescue, bluegrass, rye, Bermuda or zoysia lawn, use trimec, a herbicide consisting of three herbicides, 2,4-D, dicamba, and MCPP. The best method of application is as a spray. You can also apply this as a granule, but control is not as good. Read all label directions before you apply this product.