Carbon monoxide levels could be dangerous this time of year

Carbon monoxide levels could be dangerous this time of year

CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO (KFVS) - When you crank up the heat for the cold temperatures outside, carbon monoxide levels could go up too.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

It’s an odorless, colorless gas, and you might not know it’s in your house until it’s too late.

Greg Brown, Aire Solutions Branch Manager, said you’re more likely to have higher carbon monoxide levels in the home this time of year.

It causes dizziness, tiredness, and nausea and is especially harmful for infants, pregnant women, and the elderly.

That’s why Brown said everyone needs a carbon monoxide detector, just like smoke detectors.

“We would all rather see everybody rather be safe than sorry. Ya know for just a small cost you’re protecting your family and yourself," said Brown.

He recommends buying a low-level detector.

If you think carbon monoxide is in your home or if your detector goes off, open the windows, leave, and call 911.

Copyright 2019 KFVS. All rights reserved.